Friday 6 December 2013

Textiles in Art & Design - Image Maker

After taking the computer components apart I decided to try and develop some ideas that had come to me. I started by photographing different parts of the computers.


This is a built up section of parts that resemble two things in my mind, firstly I though it resembled an industrial type scene but also secondly it could easily be perceived as a petrol station. You do have to be open minded to see different things within this though. 

So I then took a close up photograph of a section within this structure;


Now this close up really has an industrial feel to it in my opinion, so I decided to go ahead and use this image. I then decided to develop it into a textile sample by using Image Maker. 

Image Maker allows you to transfer photocopied/printed pictures onto fabric, using black and white or coloured photocopies. 

Here's the method;  

1. Print/Photocopy the desired image and choose the fabric you want it to be transferred onto.

2. Apply Image Maker paste/solution evenly over the picture, be generous with the paste.

3. Place picture onto the fabric, paste side down.

4. Press the picture on firmly, smooth out any wrinkles.

5. Allow to dry, use a hair dryer to quicken up the process.

6. Soak the printer paper and gently rub it away, starting in the centre and working outwards.

7. Allow the fabric to dry and apply oil to it in order to seal the surface. 

So, using this method I developed the picture into the following sample;


It didn't come out too good, and I believe the reasons for this to be;

1. Image was black and white and not colour.
2. I didn't apply any oil after it dried. 
3. Fabric wasn't the best. 

So, with the flaws I believed to be the problem in mind I decided to have another shot with a different image to see if I could improve the final outcome. 




New image is a of a colourful circuit board, I then followed the steps and I feel it came out a lot better than my first try, I used a better material which took the transfer better. I then added oil as the final step and which really helped the image lift and gave it an added dimension, it literally looks like a photograph on fabric.

I was very please with the outcome on this.


Outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment