Monday 16 December 2013

Art & Design - Urban Landscape; Developing Sketches.

Right, so after watching Tony's brief tutorial on perspective drawing I decided to give it a go, I though I'd start where he showed us and go for one perspective. Below is the sketch I came out with, basically a view looking down a street of houses.


This was quite a simple task, but one that I learnt a hell of a lot from. This also gave me the idea and inspiration to take this technique further and develop it.

In order to develop this style, I introduced multiple perspectives to my work. The sketch below is what I came up with when working with multiple perspectives.


The idea for this came from a mixture of secondary sources (photographs) and my own mind, this piece really caught my imagination and sparked the beginning of the concept I planned to go on to develop even further.

So, after this came out pretty well, I noticed that the layout of the piece was very similar to the perspective grid in Adobe Illustrator, and coming from a computer background, I didn't need an excuse to jump onto the MAC and develop this even further.

So I took the image and scanned it into the computer, I then used the perspective grid in Illustrator to line up the image. The live trace feature allowed me to vectorize the shapes and turn them into solid objects.

Then after some work, I was able to create more detail in the building which resulted in this...


This is where I really found myself, and planned to use this on my final piece. However I once again decided to take this further, and again develop it.

So, back into Illustrator I went and duplication the whole image a few times, each time applying different effects and playing around with the opacity.

The my once humble sketch became a real finished piece in it's own right, this is now the vector I will use on my final piece...


Evaluation:

So I thought the process and technique of the perspective drawing was extremely useful, it helped me develop ideas and gave me the basis to build my urban landscape for my final piece. If there was any bad things about it, it would be that I would maybe have liked to use a primary source for this, however I'm not the best photographer and wouldn't be able to compose a shot of the calibre needed to pull this off, therefore it was left to what I am good at, taking something so simplistic and turning into high quality digital piece of art - I feel I really explored mixed media in this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment