Monday 21 October 2013

Textiles techniques

Update on what I did last week. Firstly I took the distressed fabric I'd previously created by exposing it to bleach - I then developed the sample and used different types of paper, pencil, oil pastel and water colour to re-create it.

I'm quite happy with how it ended up, and thought the use of different things in one piece really worked well.

Secondly I learnt a new technique called Batik, although I don't think it will help me with my final piece, I really enjoyed this style of art. The technique involved using hot wax to create a resist on the fabric. You then paint over it with dye layering from light to dark to create a really cool background - finally you sandwich the fabric between layers of newspaper and iron the wax off to leave behind the original fabric, this creates really nice effects (would make a really good space effect if done correctly).



No comments:

Post a Comment